Student Paper Competition
Student Paper Competition Division and Guidelines
- Maximum length of paper is 5,000 words, plus a 100-150 word abstract.
- Paper must have been written for an undergraduate sociology course by an undergraduate at the time it was written.
- Awards are given at both the lower (Freshman/Sophomore) and upper (Junior/Senior) undergraduate levels.
- To submit:
- Electronic Submissions
i. Email your submissions to: email@example.com
- Title Page
i. Submit a title page as a separate document
1. Include name, school name, your email address, the class the paper was written for, the year (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior) you were in school at the time the paper was written.
i. Submit the paper as a separate document
1. Do not include your name on any pages of the document. This is to assure that there is a “blind review” of the submissions.
2. Required citation style: American Sociological Association (ASA)
- Assignment Requirements
i. Added this year is the requirement that you submit the paper requirements as part of the submission process. Thus you will need to copy and send as an attachment the portion of the syllabus that established the requirements for the paper. Should the paper be original research as part of an independent study, then you will need to submit a letter from the supervising faculty member regarding the type and form of research that was approved.
- Submission deadline October 12, 2012
- Awards will be presented at the ISA Conference on November 2, 2012. Conference is in Bloomington, Illinois at Heartland Community College
- Winners will be notified by October 26, 2012.
- A session for winner paper presentations will be planned for the conference. Student winners will have the opportunity to present their papers.
For further information you may contact:
Dr. Bruce D. LeBlanc
Black Hawk College
Department of Social, Behavioral and Educational Studies
6600 34th Avenue
Moline, Illinois 61265